When you visit Hong Kong, you are encouraged to visit the glamorous side of the city – The Peak, The Victoria Harbor, The Big Buddha and all. However, no one will tell you that we have a poverty rate of 20%, or 1.5 million strong, making us more unequal than countries like Colombia and Rwanda.
This is not just a number, these are real people who serve you to be civilized, then return to their cage house each night without enjoying the economic prosperity that seems so abundance in Hong Kong.
This tour is about understanding HK capitalistic system and visiting the poor district including a sub-divided unit. We hope to give you the contrast in this city: what the tourism industry (i.e. Lonely Planet, Tripadvisor, Tourism Board) wants you to see and what actually happens on the street.
Meeting Point: Outside Mong Kok MTR Station Exit B3 (**NOT Mong Kok EAST Station**), image here.
Find Us: Find yellow T-shirt/jacket with “The Hong Kong Free Tours”
Ending Time & Point: 5:00pm near Sham Shui Po MTR station Exit C2
Booking: Due to the Coronavirus outbreak, we will confirm your reservation the night before the tour whether it will be go ahead. Please make sure to check your e-mail on the day of the tour before you go to meet the tour guide. Please feel free to contact us at [email protected] or WhatApp +852 9444 8472 if you want someone to confirm your reservation manually.
Group: If you represents an organization or your group size is bigger than 8, please contact us here for more information.
Fee: This is a pay what you think is worth tour. A similar tour in Hong Kong would cost HKD 350 per person. We recommend tipping HKD 100 per person so this will be win-win for all involved.
Cancellation: Please note this tour may be canceled due to following conditions:
Weather: Tour may be canceled if typhoon signal 3 or yellow rain signal is hoisted. Weather cancellation will be announced in the website one hour before the tour start time.
Participants: Tour may be canceled when there are less than five participants joining a tour. Tour cancellation in this case will be announce at the starting time of the tour.
– Goldfish Market: How expensive is the rent on this street?
– Flower Market: What are the major industries in Hong Kong and how come there are still flowers?
– Bird Market: Bird Flu in Hong Kong and the future of this market
– Boundary Street: Housing affordability in Hong Kong compare to other countries in the world
– Portland Street: How Hong Kong runs its capitalistic system with low tax rate?
– Cedar Street: Visiting a subdivided unit in Prince Edward
– Tung Chau Street: Minimum wage in Hong Kong, Coffin House and Cage House
– Kweilin Street: Urban Renewal Authority and the future of this problem